We all know of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world’s biggest entertainment companies. Whether through its movies, television shows, or theme parks, Disney plays a huge role in millions of children’s lives all around the world. Growing up a Disney fanatic, I thought I was updated on all the magical secrets of Disney. It wasn’t until recently, when I began applying for the Disney College Program, that I realized how much I had been missing out on. Whether you are a fanatic or not, these facts about The Walt Disney Company are sure to blow your mind!
1. The Walt Disney Company is the largest single-site employer in the United States.
2. Disney’s Annual Revenue has only decreased twice since 1991.
As shown above, the only time that Disney’s revenue decreased was in 2002 and 2009. Disney’s stock market price has gained over 48,000% in the past 50 years, even gaining over 180% in just the last 5.
3. Disney is an owner of some massive entertainment companies you wouldn’t necessarily expect.
It makes sense that Disney has ownership in entertainment companies such as Pixar Studios and Marvel Studios, but did you know Disney also has ownership in companies such as ABC Family, Hulu, and even ESPN?
4. Walt Disney holds the record for the most Academy Award wins AND nominations in history.
5. Speaking of Oscars… On the year Walt Disney won the Academy Award for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs he received a special Oscar.
6. Only 2 out of Disney’s top 5 grossing films are animated.
Usually when people think Disney films, the first ones that come to mind are animation films. However, the top 5 grossing films for Disney are: Marvel’s The Avengers, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, Toy Story 3, Iron Man 3, and Frozen.
7. Disney’s animators are notorious for hiding characters of its own movies in other films.
The picture above includes one of my favorite examples. If you look closely you can see that Boo from Monsters Inc. is giving Sully a Nemo toy. This is clever on Disney’s part, for the movie Monsters Inc. (2001) was actually released 2 years prior to Finding Nemo (2003).
8. Although Monsters Inc. was released 2 years earlier than Nemo, the ideas for both films actually came from the same lunchtime brainstorming session back in 1994. Other ideas that were plotted at this session included the films Wall-E and A Bug’s Life.
The original Toy Story had not even been released yet by 1994. It’s insane to think that all these films were crafted just a year after I was born.
9. Walt Disney was once the only animator in the world allowed to make films in color.
10. Steve Jobs was Disney’s largest single shareholder at 7% and was on the Board of Directors.
If you look closely in the Pixar movie Cars, you will see the above car on the racetrack, symbolizing Steve Jobs. The 84 painted on the side represents the year the first Apple computer was released. Disney World also honored Jobs by flying its flags half-mast on the day of his death in 2011.
11. Disney World, which is about the size of San Francisco, was evacuated in just under 30 minutes on September 11th, 2001, as staff were concerned it could become another target for the attacks.
Safety is Disney’s number one priority and is taken very seriously. Disney staff members also worked through the night on September 11th to put up Fourth of July decorations in order to reopen the following day with a feel of national solidarity.
12. After September 11th, Disney also successfully established a no fly zone at both of its theme parks.
Disney isn’t kidding about its safety precautions! These are the only “planes” you are going to be seeing around their theme parks today. Disney has successfully established a no fly zone, extending out in a three mile radius from Cinderella’s Castle.
13. There is an exclusive club at Disneyland which is said to have a wait list of 14 years.
Club 33 is a private club located in New Orleans Square and includes a beautiful five-star restaurant. At one point, Club 33 was also the only place in Disney which served alcohol. It is rumored to have an initiation fee of $25,000 with annual fees of about $10,000! I highly suggest if you ever visit Disneyland to take a trip to New Orleans Square and get a picture with the famous door.
14. Wayne Anthony Allwine, who voiced Mikey Mouse for 32 years, ended up marrying Russi Taylor in 1991, the woman who voiced Minnie.
15. Disney really is “The Happiest Place on Earth.”
This blog was written by Kayleen Woodin, a marketing student at the University of Montana. Kayleen has been a “Disney fanatic” her entire life, but was just recently accepted into the Disney College Program, where she will spend her next semester in Orlando, Florida at Walt Disney World .
- How to Make a Proper Entrance: Whether you are moving into a new place, entering a big party, or returning home to your parents’ house you should always make a memorable entrance. Maybe not as extravagant as riding a greyhound sculpture into an apartment, but maybe a beagle or something.
- Dress to Impress Your Guests: It can be a friendly get together or a big family holiday dinner whatever it is you should bring you’re A apparel game! Remember accessories are key especially ones that accentuate the giant turkey on your head.
- Don’t Let Your Haters Get You Down: When someone is down on you for any reason or you are down on yourself because of someone else you just need to do this motion and forgetaboutit! Go see your Friends at the coffee shop and get the downers off your mind.
- Knowing a Foreign Language is an Impressive Skill: Many employers in this age seek a candidate who knows at least a second language. So get a great language tutor like Pheobe and kill that audition.
- A Great Football Strategy: For all you athletes out there, you have teammates out there with you so use them to your advantage against a strong opponent. And if that doesn’t work just flash them. This is usually only acceptable in an informal game with Friends, not so much in official competitions.
- Know your competition: If you are playing against someone use your knowledge of them to your advantage. If they have a tendency to overlook certain details, then win around those details, at least it will end up reminding them of something important such as dry cleaning.
- Get some of that ever important self-confidence: If you are a bigger or smaller than most, then own that look and be happy with who you are. Joey is an actor and he knows what is worth is, why shouldn’t you?
- Once you get that self-confidence you are going to attract a lot dates: And you are going to need to develop some new “moves” when things progress back to your place. Being obvious and straight forward about your excitement has to be the most attractive way to initiate things. Even if it is with one of your Friends that is part of a prank to get you to admit you are secretly dating someone else in the friend group.
- The proper fake surprised reaction: You love surprises but you hate the anticipation of finding them out, so you do some professional spying and figure out the secret. But now when it is intentionally revealed to you it would be wrong to let them know that you found out. So when you find out the secret, like that two Friends are now dating, this reaction will certainly sell that you are still oblivious to the fact.
- The way to make your significant other feel loved: When you finally find the “One” the best way to explain your love is the famous lobster theory. They will know that you two will be together into old age holding claws *cough* hands. They will forever be your lobster.One final thought: Just remember who they were. So no matter what you think of someone and their past you shouldn’t write them off, because they could become one of your best Friends or more.
Sam Johnson is a senior in the School of Business at the University of Montana. Graduating in December 2015 with a double major in Marketing and International Business and a minor in Russian Studies.
An announcement made by officials on Monday, November 24th stated that the police officer who shot and killed eighteen-year-old Michael Brown last summer in Ferguson, Missouri, would not be indicted. Continue reading “19 Celebrity Reactions to Ferguson on Twitter”