Although there are many different things to do during a hot Montana Summer, a few of the best can be found at Flathead Lake just an hour North of Missoula. Here’s a list of places you need to visit, and things you need to do!
1. Visit downtown Bigfork. A small, entertaining village on the East shore of Flathead Lake full of great shops, bars, and restaurants. During the Summer Bigfork stays incredibly busy and is a great place to rent a condo, a boat, or a pair of jet skis!
2. Attend the “Whitewater Festival” May 24th-May 25th. A rowdy festival structured around a raft and kayak race set on a section of river called the “Wild Mile.” It features class IV rapids and is set just behind downtown Bigfork. In the evenings there is live music and a great selection of vendors.
3. Buy yourself some fresh cherries. Although my vote for the best on the lake would be Zavala Orchards, there are many places directly off the highway to get some amazing cherries. Most orchards even offer you a chance to pick your own!
4. Visit Glacier Park. Some of the most incredible wildlife and scenery I have ever witnessed lies about an hours drive from Flathead Lake. There are boat tours, shuttle tours, and a long list of hiking destinations that will keep you busy for days!
5. Take a cruise. There are a couple of options when it comes time to hop aboard one of the handful of boats that will show you around the lake, but my favorite is Far West boat tours. There are also options on the East shore and one at the resort in Polson.
6. Visit the Village Roost. One of the most happening spots on Flathead Lake located in downtown Bigfork, this establishment has been around for decades and is now under new ownership. Excellent food, live entertainment, and a rooftop bar perfect for a night of dancing and fun!
7. Hit the links. Golf is cool no matter where you play, but trust me it’s way more fun on the lake. Some of the absolute best courses in the state are located within a stones throw from Flathead. Both Eagle Bend and Polson Bay are solid options for a killer round of Summer golf!
There are literally hundreds of things to do on and around the lake, but hopefully this list will give you a great jump on Summer!